Monday 30 January 2012

HERE WE GO......

So it all begins.

Where do I start?  I suppose it's best that I start there, at the start!!

My name is PJ Ellis.  I am 32 years old.  I am happily married to Kelly and have a son Blake, who is nearly one at the time of writing.  I am a solicitor working for a very good firm in Birmingham city centre and am lucky to have an amazing family and network of friends.  I suppose that all in all, I have it good....

Little did I know that I had a long way to go to be anywhere near as strong; brave; driven; determined; and charming as a fine young 11 year old boy..

Around September 2011 time, and new to the delights of Twitter, I stumbled across Harry Moseley's Mom.  For anyone who knows about Harry and his family's journey, I need not continue.  


For anyone who is unaware, please read on...


Harry Moseley was/is an incredibly brave 11 year old boy who was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumour at the age of seven. Instead of letting this get him down and giving up, Harry showed true grit, passion, determination and courage to set up the Help Harry Help Others campaign (www.helpharryhelpothers.com)making bracelets in the hope that he could raise enough money to find a cure for brain cancer as he hated seeing people poorly like him.

Sadly he passed away on Saturday October 8 2011 but he has left a huge legacy through his campaign.

I, like thousands of others, followed Harry and his Mom Georgie on Twitter during his ups and downs.  There were many a smile and plenty of tears and this boy had instantly commanded my attention. 

I thought of my boy; I thought of my family: I thought of my friends; I thought of Harry and the Moseley family: I thought about how I would have reacted in the face of adversity; I thought about life.  And, boy I tell thee, I cried, cried and cried.



I had to do something...


So a few weeks later, and a phone call to Cancer Research, a meeting with the lovely, brave and wonderful Georgie Moseley (yes she was continuing Harry's hard work at the Bullring with local celebrities) a few texts with Ed James (a great friend and true professional at Heart FM) and his lovely wife Den, forming a team with the fantastic Kathryn Frost at Weightmans LLP and Laura Ross of 69 Magazine and with the encouragement of my wife, my family and friends (thank you so much Kell, Mom, Dad, Tom and Rachael for really believing in me when suggesting I do this).....and the inaugural Harry Moseley Charity Ball was born...

It is to take place on Friday 24 August 2012 at the ICC, Birmingham.  Special Guests will be in attendance and it will truly be an awesome event. Its main aim? - to keep Harry's cause alive....

Watch this space

PJ x

1 comment: